Re: AverTV Volar HD PRO

Hello,

this USB stick (07ca:a835) used to work fine with the 3.0 and 3.1 kernel
series, using one of the howtos in this thread:
http://forum.ubuntu-it.org/index.php/topic,384436.msg3370690.html

However, there were some build errors with my current kernel 3.2.4, so I
tried to update the entire media tree instead, as described here:
http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git

Unfortunately, the device doesn't work. These are the dmesg messages
that appear after plugging the receiver in:

Surprisingly, the tda18218 module doesn't load automatically (I guess it
should) and loading it manually doesn't help. So the device doesn't get
initialized at all and there are no messages about firmware loading.
(The firmware file is in /lib/firmware, of course.)

Is it possible to make the device work somehow? The receiver worked fine
with older kernels (using the howto from ubuntu-it.org linked above) and
the remote controller was usable as well.

Hi Andrej,
here you can find an updated version of the af9035 patch:

http://openpli.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=openpli/openembedded;a=blob_plain;f=recipes/linux/linux-etxx00/dvb-usb-af9035.patch;hb=HEAD

There are several improvements, including support for newer kernels (3.2
and 3.3) as well as the current media_build tree.
I also added the missing "select" directives for the tda18218 and
mxl5007T tuners, so the modules auto-loads correctly now.

In this version there is no remote support.

Please let me know if it works fine for you.

Regards,
Gianluca

Hi Gianluca,

the tuner seems to work now. I applied the patch directly to the 3.2.5 kernel, without using the media_build tree. (Is this the correct approach?) Unlike the previous versions of the driver, this one does not keep the tuner hot when inactive. (There must have been a power management issue that is already resolved.)

This is what I see in dmesg:

	usb 3-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 9 using ehci_hcd
	dvb-usb: found a 'Avermedia AverTV Volar HD & HD PRO (A835)' in cold state, will try to load a firmware
	dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-af9035-01.fw'
	dvb-usb: found a 'Avermedia AverTV Volar HD & HD PRO (A835)' in warm state.
	dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
	DVB: registering new adapter (Avermedia AverTV Volar HD & HD PRO (A835))
	af9033: firmware version: LINK:11.15.10.0 OFDM:5.48.10.0
	DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Afatech AF9033 DVB-T)...
	tda18218: NXP TDA18218HN successfully identified.
	dvb-usb: Avermedia AverTV Volar HD & HD PRO (A835) successfully initialized and connected.
	usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_af9035

However, there are still some glitches. Sometimes the initialization fails:

	usb 3-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 8 using ehci_hcd
	dvb-usb: found a 'Avermedia AverTV Volar HD & HD PRO (A835)' in cold state, will try to load a firmware
	dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-af9035-01.fw'
	af9035: bulk message failed:-71 (6/0)
	af9035: firmware download failed:-71
	dvb_usb_af9035: probe of 3-1.2:1.0 failed with error -71

Unloading the dvb-t modules manually and re-plugging the tuner resolves this. Furthermore, I had two kernel panics today. :-( They seem to occur when the DVB-T signal is poor for a long time. Unfortunately, I didn't have netconsole set up.

An attempt to scan channels in Kaffeine always fails before the progress bar reaches 20% and lots of messages like this appear in dmesg:

	af9035: recv bulk message failed:-110
	af9033: I2C read failed reg:0047
	af9035: recv bulk message failed:-110
	af9033: I2C read failed reg:0047
	af9035: recv bulk message failed:-110
	af9033: I2C read failed reg:0045
	af9035: recv bulk message failed:-110
	af9033: I2C read failed reg:0048
	af9035: recv bulk message failed:-110
	af9033: I2C read failed reg:0047
	af9035: recv bulk message failed:-110
	af9033: I2C read failed reg:002c
	af9035: recv bulk message failed:-110
	af9033: I2C read failed reg:0047
	af9035: recv bulk message failed:-110
	af9033: I2C read failed reg:0048

Fortunately, I have another DVB-T tuner (dvb_usb_af9015, MSI DigiVox Mini II V3) that scans channels just fine, so I used that one to obtain the list of channels. Once you have a list of channels, watching TV with the AverTV Volar HD PRO (dvb_usb_af9035) seems to work fine.

Andrej