Re: I2C and mt9p031 on Overo

On 2011-12-11 13:25, Robert Åkerblom-Andersson wrote:
Hi, I trying to get the mt9p031 to work on the Overo board.

So far I have it working in the Beagleboard xM, and now I have sort of
ported/used the same files to get it to work with Overo. My problem
now is that when I probe the camera board (LI-5M03 with an adapter
board in between providing extra voltage levels) it seams fine.

OMAP3ISP loads without any bigger error but the mt9p031 driver can't
find the device, but it does not seam to be a driver problem rather a
board problem. I think this since I've been debugging with "i2cdetect
-y -r 3" to scan the bus for the camera. Most of the times I get
nothing, but a couple of times (out of hundreds or more, I used a
while loop with i2cdetect and then a sleep 1) it showed up with it's
address. I think it happens when I just inserted the board but I'm
sure or if I get it into some "weird" state just adding it. It could
be a contact error but I have a felling it is something else I have
missed. Some pin configuration or something that stops it from
working.

Do you have any tips on how to debug further or on what might the my
problem? I have tried to lower the i2c speed to 100 KHz but it did not
seam to make any difference.

I too had problems with this device.  I have [yet another] different DM3750
board which uses this sensor, so my experience is not exactly the same as
yours on the Overo.  However, I found that I had to have a pretty substantial
delay (500ms) between the time that the MT9P031 was taken out of reset (I have this
on a GPIO pin) and when the I2C bus is scanned for the device (mt9p031_probe called).

With the delay, the device is discovered and works great.  Without it, the
device is never seen on the I2C bus.