Re: zc3xx webcam crashes on in-focus pictures

Hi Jef,

Am 11.12.2011 16:04, schrieb Jean-Francois Moine:

> Your problem seems to be tied to the JPEG compression. It should have
> been fixed in June, for the kernel 3.1.x (commit 93604b0fdde32). If you
> cannot update your kernel, you may try the gspca test version from my
> web page (see below).

Hmm, I updated my kernel to 3.1.5, but the problem persisted. Then I
deselected all in-kernel gspca modules and compiled the one from your
webpage (2.14.4) against the 3.1.5 kernel. The problem persisted.

I played around some more with that and it is remarkably well
reproducible. It's just kind of hard to record it since with mencoder I
can only record or play back, not both simultaniously: thus getting the
focus right/the thing to skip is kind of hard.

Is there any data I could dump (I could offer usbmon for example) that
would be of help to you? I'd happily assist if this could be fixed, but
if it's not easily fixable (or it's too much of a hassle for you), I'd
just ditch the thing and buy a camera that works reliably.

Best regards,
Joe