Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/5] v4l: New camera controls

Hi, all!

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 11:32:38AM +0100, Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:
> Hi Laurent,
>
> On 12/06/2011 01:34 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > On Sunday 04 December 2011 16:16:11 Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I put some effort in preparing a documentation for a couple of new controls
> >> in the camera control class. It's a preeliminary work, it's mainly just
> >> documentation. There is yet no patches for any driver using these controls.
> >> I just wanted to get some possible feedback on them, if this sort of stuff
> >> is welcome and what might need to be done differently.
> >
> > Thanks for the patches.
> >
> > Regarding patches 3/5, 4/5 and 5/5, we should perhaps try to brainstorm this a
> > bit. There's more to exposure setting than just those controls, maybe it's
> > time to think about a proper exposure API. We could start by gathering
> > requirements on the list, and maybe have an IRC meeting if needed.
>
> Certainly the existing support for exposure setting in V4L2 is not sufficient
> even for mobile camera control. I'll try to prepare a list of requirements.
> It would be great to have a brainstorming session with more people experienced
> in this field.

IRC meeting?

The proposed controls seem useful for high level control --- for example,
ISO means a combination of digital and analog gain, and also the unit is
different. In general, I think that even if the three are concerned with
similar issues, the ISO control definitely should belong to a different
class: it requires making policy decisions rather than just providing access
to the sensor features.

Cheers,

--
Sakari Ailus