Re: [Query] V4L2 Integer (?) menu control

Hi Sylwester,

Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:
Thank you all for the comments.

On 11/24/2011 09:50 AM, Sakari Ailus wrote:
Hi Sylwester,

There is not currently, but I have patches for it. The issue is that I need
them myself but the driver I need them for isn't ready to be released yet.
And as usual, I assume others than vivo is required to show they're really
useful so I haven't sent them.

That's great news. Then I might not need to do all the work on my own;)

I hope mine will do. ;-)

I'm working on 2.6.32 kernel (ouch!) so I haven't been able to test them properly yet. Please provide feedback on them if you find any issues.

Good that you asked so we won't end up writing essentially the same code
again. I'll try to send the patches today.

All right, there is no rush. I was just looking around how to support the
camera scene mode with m5mols sort of sensors. The scene mode is essentially
a compilation of several different parameters, for some of which there are
standard controls in V4L2 but for many there are not.

I fully agree with this approach. Scene modes should not be implemented at the level of the V4L2 API. Instead, the parameters that the scene modes consist of must be shown separately on the V4L2 API, if that is the level of API they belong to. Depending on your camera stack control algorithms could reside in the user space, which I believe is however not the case with the M5-MOLS.

I've got a feeling the best way to handle this would be to create controls
for each single parameter and then do a batch set from user space, and keep
the scene mode mappings in user space. The only concern is there is a couple
of ISP-specific parameters involved with that scene mode thing. Perhaps they
just could be set initially to fixed values.

Can you describe what kind of parameters this is about? Is there an issue in just setting those using the ISP driver V4L2 subdev API?

This makes your user space to depend both on the sensor and the ISP, but there's really no way around that if both do non-trivial hardware-specific things.

I think we need to further standardise image processing configuration such as RGB-to-RGB matrices and gamma tables. This would make the ISP interfaces less hardware specific.

Kind regards,

--
Sakari Ailus
sakari.ailus@xxxxxx