Re: [RFC] Monotonic clock usage in buffer timestamps

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 11:58:04 +0100, Daniel Glöckner <daniel-gl@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
>> Converting between the two can be done when making the timestamp but
it's
>> non-trivial at other times and likely isn't supported. I could be
wrong,
>> though. This might lead to e.g. timestamps that are taken before
>> switching
>> to summer time and for which the conversion is done after the switch.
>> This might be a theoretical possibility, but there might be also
>> unfavourable interaction with the NTP.
>
> Summertime/wintertime is purely a userspace thing. UTC as returned by
> gettimeofday is unaffected by that.

Right, DST is a non-issue.

> NTP AFAIK adjusts the speed of the monotonic clock, so there is a
constant
> delta between wall clock time and clock monotonic

For NTP it depends. Simple NTP, as in ntpdate, warps the wall clock.
Full-blown NTP only adjusts the speed.

> unless there is a leap
> second or someone calls settimeofday. Applications currently using the
> wall clock timestamps should have trouble dealing with that as well.

I can think of at least three other sources of wall clock time, that could
trigger a warp:
 - GPS receiver (TAI),
 - cellular modem (NITZ),
 - and, of course, manual setting.

So if at all possible I'd much prefer monotonic over real timestamps.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/