Re: pac7311

* Németh Márton <nm127@xxxxxxxxxxx> [11-10-18 22:14]:
> Hi Lars,
>
> Lars Noschinski wrote:
> > I'm using a webcam (Philipps SPC500NC) which identifies itself as
> >
> >     093a:2603 Pixart Imaging, Inc. PAC7312 Camera
> >
> > and is sort-of supported by the gspca_pac7311 module. "sort-of" because
> > the image alternates quickly between having a red tint or a green tint
> > (using the gspac driver from kernel 3.0.0, but this problem is present
> > since at least 2.6.31).
>
> The most important source code for your webcam is drivers/media/video/gspca/pac7311.c .
> You can see it online at http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=blob;f=drivers/media/video/gspca/pac7311.c .
>
> > If I remove and re-plugin the camera a few times (on average around 3
> > times), the colors are stable.
>
> When you plug and remove the webcam and the colors are wrong, do you get any
> message in the "dmesg"?

I get the same messages; sometimes the order of the messages output by
uhci_hcd ehci_hcd differs, but this seems to be unrelated to working/not
working.

> Once the colors are stable and you unplug and replug the webcam, what happens then?
> Is there again around 3 times when the webcam is not working properly?

I now did a longer series of unplug&replug: Over the time, status
"stable colors" seemed to get more probable. After a while, it only
falls back to alternating colors, when I unplug it for a longer time
(say 10 seconds). Might be a hardware problem?

> > Then a second issue becomes apparent:
> > There is almost no saturation in the image. Toying around with Contrast,
> > Gamma, Exposure or Gain does not help. What _does_ help is the Vflip
> > switch: If I enable it, the image is flipped vertically (as expected),
> > but also the color become a lot better.
>
> Is there any difference when you use the "Mirror" control? What about the
> combination of the "Vflip" and "Mirror" controls?

"Vflip" and ("Vflip" and "Mirror") change color; "Mirror" alone does
not.

> What about the "Auto Gain" setting? Is it enabled or disabled in your case?

Auto Gain is enabled; but colors also change if it is disabled

> > Is there something I can do to debug/fix this problem?
>
> You can try testing the webcam with different resolutions. The webcam
> supports 160x120, 320x240 and 640x480 resolutions based on the source code.
> You can try the different resolutions for example with "cheese"
> ( http://projects.gnome.org/cheese/ ) or any of your favorite V4L2 program.

This does not seem to make a difference; except that 160x120 is listed,
but does not seem to be available. guvcview tells me:

Checking video mode 640x480@32bpp : OK
setting new resolution (320 x 240)
checking format: 859981650
Checking video mode 320x240@32bpp : OK
setting new resolution (160 x 120)
checking format: 859981650
Checking video mode 160x120@32bpp : OK
ioctl (-1067952623) retried 4 times - giving up: Die Ressource ist zur Zeit nicht verfügbar)
VIDIOC_DQBUF - Unable to dequeue buffer : Die Ressource ist zur Zeit nicht verfügbar
Error grabbing image
(the last message is then repeated, till i change the resolution)

[Also, since I switched to 160x120, cheese crashes with a segfault,
without giving me the possibility to switch back and I cannot find the
config file.]

> You can load the usbmon kernel module and use Wireshark to log the USB communication
> between your computer and the webcam starting with plug-in. You can compare
> the communication when the webcam starts to work correctly with the one when
> the webcam doesn't work as expected.

I'll try to do this later this week.

Greetings,
  Lars Noschinski