Re: recursive locking problem

On 09/09/2011 01:45 PM, David Waring wrote:
On 08/09/11 17:34, Antti Palosaari wrote:
[snip]

Is there any lock can do recursive locking but unlock frees all locks?

Like that:
gate_open
+gate_open
+gate_close
== lock is free

AFAIK mutex can do only simple lock() + unlock(). Semaphore can do
recursive locking, like lock() + lock() + unlock() + unlock(). But how I
can do lock() + lock() + unlock() == free.

Antti,

It's a very bad idea to try and use a mutex like that. The number of
locks and unlocks must be balanced otherwise you risk accessing
variables without a lock.

Consider:

static struct mutex foo_mutex;
static int foo=3;

void a() {
   mutex_lock(&foo_mutex);
   if (foo<5) foo++;
   b();
   foo--; /*<<<  still need lock here */
   mutex_unlock(&foo_mutex);
}

void b() {
   mutex_lock(&foo_mutex);
   if (foo>6) foo=(foo>>1);
   mutex_unlock(&foo_mutex);
}

Note: this assumes mutex_lock will allow the same thread get multiple
locks as you would like (which it doesn't).

As pointed out in the code, when a() is called, you still need the lock
for accesses to foo after the call to b() that also requires the lock.
If we used the locks in the way you propose then foo would be accessed
without a lock.

To code properly for cases like these I usually use a wrapper functions
to acquire the lock and call a thread unsafe version (i.e. doesn't use
locks) of the function that only uses other thread unsafe functions. e.g.

void a() {
   mutex_lock(&foo_mutex);
   __a_thr_unsafe();
   mutex_unlock(&foo_mutex);
}

void b() {
   mutex_lock(&foo_mutex);
   __b_thr_unsafe();
   mutex_unlock(&foo_mutex);
}

static void __a_thr_unsafe() {
   if (foo<5) foo++;
   __b_thr_unsafe();
   foo--;
}

static void __b_thr_unsafe() {
   if (foo>6) foo=(foo>>1);
}

This way a call to a() or b() will acquire the lock once for that
thread, perform all actions and then release the lock. The mutex is
handled properly.

Can you restructure the code so that you don't need multiple locks?

Thank you for very long and detailed reply with examples :)

I need lock for hardware access. Single I2C-adapter have two I2C-clients that have same I2C-address in same bus. There is gate (demod I2C-gate) logic that is used to select desired tuner. See that:
http://palosaari.fi/linux/v4l-dvb/controlling_tuner_af9015_dual_demod.txt

You can never know surely how tuner drivers calls to open or close gate, very commonly there is situations where multiple close or open happens. That's why lock/unlock is problematic.

.i2c_gate_ctrl() is demod driver callback (struct dvb_frontend_ops) which controls gate that gate. That callback is always called from tuner driver when gate is needed to open or close.

regards
Antti

--
http://palosaari.fi/