Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/1] Ignore ctrl_class

On Tuesday, September 06, 2011 13:07:42 Sakari Ailus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I remember being in a discussion a while ago regarding the requirement of
> having all the controls belonging to the same class in
> VIDIOC_{TRY,S,G}_EXT_CTRLS. The answer I remember was that there was a
> historical reason for this and it no longer exists.

The original rule was that all controls have to belong to the same class. This was
done to simplify drivers. Drivers that use the control framework can handle a class
of 0, which means that the controls can be of any class.

But we still have drivers that implement S_EXT_CTRLS but do not use the control
framework, and for those this restriction is still valid. Usually such drivers will only
handle MPEG class controls through that API.

So I don't think this restriction can be lifted as long as there are drivers that do not
use the control framework.

Regards,

	Hans