Re: PCTV nanoStick T2 290e (Sony CXD2820R DVB-T/T2/C) - DVB-C channel scan in mythtv - missing

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Antti Palosaari <crope@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/21/2011 12:04 AM, Markus Rechberger wrote:

>>> Is it possible to work around this by disabling the lna or is the
>>> quality decreased permanently as part of the hardware design,
>>> independently of whether the lna is enabled or not ?
>>>
>>> I searched the linux-media list and it seems that an lna option was
>>> discussed as a module parameter, but modinfo for the module I use [1]
>>> (using the media_build git repository) doesn't show a lna parameter.
>>> Can the lna be disabled in another way ?
>>>

>> no, otherwise it would be sold as full hybrid device. DVB-T2 is weak
>> that's why it was added.
>> Failing DVB-C would increase the device return rate, that's why it is
>> sold as DVB-T2 only.
>
> How the others have resolved that problem? Is that signal strength only
> issue when TDA18271 tuner is used?

USB is expected to be mobile, so sensitivity is a more important
issue. The T2 tuner
in question is designed to be a little bit mobile (you can use it with
your notebook without moving at least).
If you use a PC card you can play around with the antenna and won't
move it all the time.
The sensitivity optimization is quite clear why it's there for T2. C
is clearly not the focus of that design.
We already switched away from the tda18271 for our current (and
especially upcoming) designs as well.

Markus