Re: Status on DRX-K based tuner cards

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Markus Partheymueller
<mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I just wanted to ask whether there is a change in the situation of
> tuners used in e.g. Terratec H5 / WinTV HVR-930c / MSI Digivox Trio
> etc. As far as I can understand all the information available in
> various mailing lists and boards, the real problem was (or is) the
> DRX-K chip. Now there's a driver for Terratec H7 which includes some
> drxk-* source code. Is this a different chip or is this the desired
> source code for providing linux support for those devices?
>
> I would really appreciate linux support for this kind of tuners - of
> course I've got one myself, but in general I hate the idea that there
> are products not available to the linux domain. Especially when it
> comes to TV - there are all kinds of custom VDR solutions featuring
> Linux, as well as many lightweight laptops like the eeePC, which can't
> access the huge variety of dvb tuner cards.

In the case of the drx-k, the problem is no longer with the chipset
vendor - they have provided source code under a license that will
permit merging into an upstream kernel.

The problem at this point is simply a lack of developers who are both
qualified and willing to do the work.  A secondary problem is that
even if somebody gets a board working, a huge refactoring of the code
is required in order for it to be accepted upstream.  This for example
is why the drx-j (the ATSC/QAM equivalent to the drxk-) isn't in the
mainline kernel despite there having been an out-of-tree GPL driver
available for almost a year.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs