Re: Capabilities of the Omap3 ISP driver

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 03:27:23PM +0200, Bastian Hecht wrote:
> Hello Laurent,
>
> I'm on to a project that needs two synced separate small cameras for
> stereovision. It's for harvesting tomatoes in fact :)
>
> I was thinking about realizing this on an DM3730 with 2 aptina csi2
> cameras that are used in snapshot mode. The questions that arise are:
>
> - is the ISP driver capable of running 2 concurrent cameras?
> - is it possible to simulate a kind of video stream that is externally
> triggered (I would use a gpio line that simply triggers 10 times a
> sec) or would there arise problems with the csi2 protocoll (timeouts
> or similar)?

Hi Bastian,

As Laurent poonted out, the DM3730 doesn't support CSI2. This is really
unfortunate as many sensors tend to use that interface nowadays. I wonder if
there would be alternative sensors available that would use parallel
interface instead. On the other hand, then you can't receive two streams
simultaneously using a single OMAP without special arrangements.

If interleaved exposure start is out of question you'll need more than one
OMAP. :I Or somehow get OMAP 36x0s. They do have dual CSI2 receivers.

To the latter question: I don't think the CSI2 protocol has any issues with
this kind of use.

Kind regards,

--
Sakari Ailus