Re: the focus terms or sequences

Hi HeungJun,

On Monday 14 March 2011 08:02:01 Kim, HeungJun wrote:
> Hi Laurent,
>
> I heard of that there was a chance between you and Sylwester telling about
> the menu entries focus, and so after that, probably this menu style of the
> patch I sent, need to be more upgraded. So, can you tell me the kind or
> sequence of the UVC device breifly?
>
> I guess the word *AUTO* at the UVC device means doing focus continuously,
> not once or one time.

That's correct. In the UVC context, auto focus means CAF and manual focus
means... well, manual focus :-)

> But, at the sensors I used the *AUTO* focus means doing focus once, on the
> other hand *CONTINUOUS* means doing continuously. So, we need to be clear
> terms about focus.
>
> At the sensor I used, the focus needs 3 kinds of commands:
> 1) setting mode
>
>   : it makes the lens initial position for each AF(Normal, Continuous,
>   : Night mode Focus, etc),
>
>     and set the AF status Idle.
> 2) execute AF
>
>   : doing the move of the lens
>
> 3) read AF status
>
>   : checking the lens status(Focus failed, Focus success, Idle, Busy)
>
>     and do the proper jobs.
>
> I don't know uvc case well, so, If you share about this, it can be help.

What bothers me with your auto-focus implementation is that the user might
want to perform auto-focus several times. Let's imagine this use case:

1. The user points the camera (webcam, cellphone camera, digital camera, it
doesn't matter) at an object.

2. The user presses a button to perform singleshot auto-focus (it can be a
physical button or a button on the camera screen, once again it doesn't
matter).

3. The application sets the focus control to AUTO.

4. The driver and device perform auto-focus once. The lens is moved so that
the object is in focus.

5. The user points the camera at another object.

6. The user presses a button to perform singleshot auto-focus.

7. The applications sets the focus control to AUTO. As the focus control value
was already AUTO, nothing is done.

This is clearly broken. That's why we need a V4L2 button control in addition
to the menu control.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart