Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/1] New subdev sensor operation g_interface_parms

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> On Friday, February 25, 2011 19:23:43 Sakari Ailus wrote:
> > Hi Guennadi and others,
> >
> > Apologies for the late reply...
> >
> > Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

> > > Ok, this is much better! I'm still not perfectly happy having to punish
> > > all just for the sake of a couple of broken boards, but I can certainly
> > > much better live with this, than with having to hard-code each and every
> > > bit. Thanks, Hans!
> >
> > How much punishing would actually take place without autonegotiation?
> > How many boards do we have in total? I counted around 26 of
> > soc_camera_link declarations under arch/. Are there more?
> >
> > An example of hardware which does care about clock polarity is the
> > N8[01]0. The parallel clock polarity is inverted since this actually
> > does improve reliability. In an ideal hardware this likely wouldn't
> > happen but sometimes the hardware is not exactly ideal. Both the sensor
> > and the camera block support non-inverted and inverted clock signal.
> >
> > So at the very least it should be possible to provide this information
> > in the board code even if both ends share multiple common values for
> > parameters.
> >
> > There have been many comments on the dangers of the autonegotiation and
> > I share those concerns. One of my main concerns is that it creates an
> > unnecessary dependency from all the boards to the negotiation code, the
> > behaviour of which may not change.

Sorry, didn't want to comment on this... But to me this sounds like a void
argument... Yes, there are _many_ inter-dependencies in the kernel, and if
you break code something will stop working... What's new about it??? But
no, I do not want to continue this discussion endlessly...

> OK, let me summarize this and if there are no objections then Stan can start
> implementing this.
>
> 1) We need two subdev ops: one reports the bus config capabilities and one that
> sets it up. Note that these ops should be core ops since this functionality is
> relevant for both sensors and video receive/transmit devices.
>
> 2) The clock sampling edge and polarity should not be negotiated but must be set
> from board code for both subdevs and host. In the future this might even require
> a callback with the clock frequency as argument.
>
> 3) We probably need a utility function that given the host and subdev capabilities
> will return the required subdev/host settings.
>
> 4) soc-camera should switch to these new ops.

...remains only to find, who will do this;)

So, I'm in minority here, if we don't count all those X systems,
successfully using soc-camera with its evil auto-negotiation. If you just
decide to do this and push the changes - sure, there's nothing I can do
against this. But if you decide to postpone a final decision on this until
we meet personally and will not have to circulate the same arguments 100
times - just because the delay is shorter - maybe we can find a solution,
that will keep everyone happy.

> Of course, we also need MIPI support in this API. The same considerations apply to
> MIPI as to the parallel bus: settings that depend on the hardware board design
> should come from board code, others can be negotiated. Since I know next to nothing
> about MIPI I will leave that to the experts...
>
> One thing I am not sure about is if we want separate ops for parallel bus and MIPI,
> or if we merge them. I am leaning towards separate ops as I think that might be
> easier to implement.

Thanks
Guennadi
---