Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/1] New subdev sensor operation g_interface_parms

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 22, 2011 22:42:58 Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:
> > Hi everybody,

> > > In my view at least it *is* a technical argument. It makes perfect sense to
> > > me from a technical point of view to put static, board-specific configuration
> > > in platform_data. I don't think there would have been much, if any, discussion
> >
> > We should not be forgetting that there often will be two or more sets
> > of platform_data. For sensor, MIPI interface, for the host interface driver..
> > By negotiating setups we could avoid situations when corresponding parameters
> > are not matched. That is not so meaningful benefit though.
> >
> > Clock values are often being rounded at runtime and do not always reflect exactly
> > the numbers fixed at compile time. And negotiation could help to obtain exact
> > values at both sensor and host side.
>
> The only static data I am concerned about are those that affect signal integrity.
> After thinking carefully about this I realized that there is really only one
> setting that is relevant to that: the sampling edge. The polarities do not
> matter in this.

Ok, this is much better! I'm still not perfectly happy having to punish
all just for the sake of a couple of broken boards, but I can certainly
much better live with this, than with having to hard-code each and every
bit. Thanks, Hans!

So, I think, we can proceed with this, let's see the code now, shall we?;)

Currently soc-camera auto-configures the following parameters:

hsync polarity
vsync polarity
data polarity
master / slave mode
data bus width
pixel clock polarity

(see include/media/soc_camera.h::soc_camera_bus_param_compatible() and
drivers/media/video/soc_camera.c::soc_camera_apply_sensor_flags()).
Removing the pixclk polarity, the rest we can use as a basis for a new
subdev-based implementation.

Thanks
Guennadi

---