Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/1] New subdev sensor operation g_interface_parms

Hi,

<snip>
>> Sorry, I accept different opinions, and in the end only one of the two
>> possibilities will be implemented, and either way it'll all work in the
>> end, but, I don't buy either of these arguments.
>
>> Complexity - the code is
>> already there, it is working, it is simple, it has not broken since it has
>> been implemented. I had it hard-coded in the beginning and I went over to
>> negotiation and never regretted it.
>
> First of all, it seems that this discussion is heavily parallel i/f
> oriented, and soc_camera focused, and it's just not like that.

yes, it seems that is correct. My patch just get back on host side some
sensor dynamic parameters and it doesn't pretending for any negotiation.

> Now, _just_ for soc_camera framework, yeah... it works and it's there, but
> still not providing a solution for other v4l2_subdev users (like Media
> Controller).

I already start looking into soc_camera code, but I'm so confused. :(

> Complexity comes only when trying to make this truly generic, and avoid
> fragmentation of solutions (1 for soc, 1 for MC), plus adding support for
> serial (MIPI) interfaces
>
> Now, also, the patch originally proposed by Stan doesn't actually deal with
> putting polarities as part of the interface parameters, which is something
> you're currently negotiating in soc_camera framework, again, just for
> parallel interfaces.
>
> Now, just for the sake of clarifying my understanding, I guess what you're
> saying is to make sensor driver expose all possible polarities and physical
> details configurable, and make the platform data limit the actual options due to the physical layout.
>
> For example, if in my board A, I have:
>
> 	- OV5640 sensor driver, which supports both Parallel and CSI2
>         Interfaces (with up to 2 datalanes)
> 	- Rx subdev (or host) driver(s) which support Parallel, CSI2-A and
>         CSI2-B interfaces (with 2 and 1 datalanes respectively).

If the sensor is physically connected as parallel and serial the board
code should dictates the preferred interface, IMO. Or ...

> I should specify in my boardfile integration details, such as the
> sensor is actually wired to the CSI2-B I/f, so make the sensor
> negotiate with the other side of the bus and enable CSI2 i/f with
> given details, like just use 1 datalane, and match datalane
> position/polarity.
>
> Am I understanding right?
>
>> Hardware damage - if this were the case, I'd probably be surrounded only
>> by bricks. How configuring a wrong hsync polarity can damage your
>> hardware?
>
> Ok, I'll regret my statement on this one. I guess I was a bit too dramatic
> to point out consequences of HW mismatches. Nevermind this.

:)

> Regards,
> Sergio
>
>> Thanks
>> Guennadi
>> ---
>> Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
>> Freelance Open-Source Software Developer
>> http://www.open-technology.de/
> --

Best regards,
Stan