Re: Memory allocation in Video4Linux

On Wednesday, February 09, 2011 08:27:27 Wang, Wen W wrote:
> Hi Hari,
>
> You are right. What we need is virtual address.
>
> Currently we alloc pages (alloc_pages()) for any request. Store those pages for an image buffer into a list. We also manage the virtual address for ISP by ourself (the range from 0 to 4GB) and the page table for our MMU which is independent to system MMU page table.

Assuming you are using video4linux for this driver, then you should take a
look at the new videobuf2 framework that will appear in 2.6.39. It is already
in the media tree (http://git.linuxtv.org/media_tree.git, see
include/media/videobuf2-core.h).

It is much better than the old videobuf framework, and in particular gives
the driver much more control on how memory is allocated and used.

Regards,

	Hans