HDPVR Woes

I am using a Hauppauge HDPVR unit with vdr and the pvrinput plugin. This
normally works really well, however every now and then thing stops
streaming, the big blue light goes off and pvrinput doesn't notice.  I
am trying to diagnose this with Lars Hanisch, one of the authors of
pvrinput.

The part of pvrinput it's failing on is:

else if (FD_ISSET(parent->v4l2_fd, &selSet)) {
log(pvrDEBUG1, "read");
r = read(parent->v4l2_fd, buffer, bufferSize);
log(pvrDEBUG1, "done read");

So, it never returns from r = read(parent->v4l2_fd, buffer, bufferSize);

If I do a cat /dev/video0 >/tmp/test.ts, and change the resolution of
the cable box, the cat command never finishes, but the blue light goes
out and test.ts stops increasing in size. (This simulates the same kind
of behaviour, so I'm guessing it's a TS error of some sort).

I am compiling the latest dev tree of v4l at the moment but don't think
much development has happened in this driver.

The problem compounds on VDR as if there is no signal while recording,
VDR assumes its a driver lockup and restarts itself, breaking any
concurrent recordings on other input devices.

Rob