Re: What to do with videodev.h

Hi Hans,

Em 26-01-2011 06:26, Hans de Goede escreveu:
> Hi All,
>
> With v4l1 support going completely away, the question is
> raised what to do with linux/videodev.h .
>
> Since v4l1 apps can still use the old API through libv4l1,
> these apps will still need linux/videodev.h to compile.
>
> So I see 3 options:
> 1) Keep videodev.h in the kernel tree even after we've dropped
> the API support at the kernel level (seems like a bad idea to me)

That's a bad idea.

> 2) Copy videodev.h over to v4l-utils as is (under a different name)
> and modify the #include in libv4l1.h to include it under the
> new name
> 3) Copy the (needed) contents of videodev.h over to libv4l1.h

I would do (3). This provides a clearer signal that V4L1-only apps need
to use libv4l1, or otherwise will stop working.

Of course, the better is to remove V4L1 support from those old apps.
There are a number of applications that support both API's. So, it
is time to remove V4L1 support from them.

> I'm not sure where I stand wrt 2 versus 3. Comments anyone?

Cheers,
Mauro