Re: Enable IR on hdpvr

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 01:05 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2011, at 7:36 PM, Jason Gauthier wrote:

> Janne, I've heard many success stories w/the hdpvr IR lately, and almost no reports
> of lockups, so I'm thinking a firmware update may have helped out here, and thus,
> maybe its time we just go ahead and push this patch along upstream? We still
> require someone to load lirc_zilog manually, so it seems like a fairly low-risk
> thing to do.

FYI, the code I added to hdpvr-i2c.c will perform 2 accesses to the chip
to check for existence, by virtue of a call to i2c_new_probed_device()
(or whatever it is called).  The I2C subsystem tries to talk the chip to
see if it exists.

If you are really concerned about corner cases that may hang, add a
module option to hdpvr to disable I2C and/or IR in the hdpvr driver.
With that users in the field can work-around the problem without
rebuilding modules.

Regards,
Andy