Re: Enable IR on hdpvr

On Jan 9, 2011, at 7:36 PM, Jason Gauthier wrote:

> Hey all,
>
>   I've been a long time MythTV user, and earlier this year purchased two Hauppauge HDPVRs.   I was running the Mythbuntu distribution (10.04) which had a 2.6.32.
>
> Using a custom hdpvr module, I had the IR bits turned on, and a custom lirc_zilog (which was not standard in the kernel then).
> When hdpvr.ko would load, it would enable the IR chipset, and lirc_zilog would pick it up.  Occasionally, I would an oops, and I believe this is why the IR pieces were disabled to begin with.
>
> Well, a ton of changes have occurred since .32, to .37.  Namely, I2C changes.  The custom code I have won't compile at all.
> So, I started doing some more digging, and I discovered the linuxtv git repository.  Recently, Andy Walls put some piece in place that interested me.
>
> I pulled the tree down, and worked with it a while.  What I am trying to do is re-enable the IR transmitter in the hdprv module. I've done plenty of development but, unfortunately, this is a bit over my head.
>
> After reading through these three patches:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg26264.html
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg07588.html
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg07589.html
>
> It looks very close to what I am interested in.
>
> I've spent awhile messing with this, but just haven't gotten anywhere.    Does anyone know what it would take, or how, to enable the IR bits on the hdpvr code?
>
> I did simply try changing:
>
>       /* until i2c is working properly */
>       retval = 0; /* hdpvr_register_i2c_ir(dev); */
>       if (retval < 0)
>
> so that it would register with i2c.
> Doing so returns a positive registration with I2C, but the lirc_zilog driver doesn't see the chip when it loads. (The lirc_zilog is now in the kernel, yay)

There's a bit more to it than just the one line change. Here's the patch we're
carrying in the Fedora kernels to enable it:

http://wilsonet.com/jarod/lirc_misc/hdpvr-ir/hdpvr-ir-enable.patch

Janne, I've heard many success stories w/the hdpvr IR lately, and almost no reports
of lockups, so I'm thinking a firmware update may have helped out here, and thus,
maybe its time we just go ahead and push this patch along upstream? We still
require someone to load lirc_zilog manually, so it seems like a fairly low-risk
thing to do.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@xxxxxxxxxxxx