Re: Support for Si468x radio receiver

Hi Robert,

On 10/1/24 15:35, Robert Tiemann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We'd like to use the Silicon Labs Si4688 FM/HD/DAB/DAB+ radio receiver
> chip in a product, but there is no kernel support for it yet. We have
> the full datasheet and Si468x Programming Guide available, so it
> should be possible to write a driver for that chip. The kernel
> supports the Si4768 already (which can do AM/FM/HD radio, but not
> DAB/DAB+), so I figured it should not be to hard to get the Si4688
> supported...
>
> Then I checked the kernel sources for how DAB+ radio tuners are
> supposed to be handled by V4L2, but found nothing. Seems like V4L2 is
> restricted to abstraction of analog radio tuners, and there is
> currently no way to support DAB+ receivers. Is this correct or did I
> miss something? The same seems to be true about FM HD (the
> radio-si476x driver doesn't seem to support FM HD, only AM and FM).
>
> Now, my question is, how should the FM HD/DAB/DAB+ parts of a
> hypothetical radio-si468x driver be implemented? Since DAB is quite
> different from FM, do we need a new tuner type in addition to
> V4L2_TUNER_RADIO? Or just new V4L2_BAND_MODULATION_FM_HD and
> V4L2_BAND_MODULATION_DAB definitions? Or is V4L2 sufficient the way
> it is and I am simply failing to understand how it should work?

First of all, I don't think we have any drivers that support DAB(+) today
in the mainline kernel. My limited understanding of DAB is that it is actually
something you would implement as part of the DVB API (digital video broadcasting).

I see a SYS_DAB in include/uapi/linux/dvb/frontend.h, suggesting that it is
indeed something that should be part of dvb, but that's where my knowledge
ends.

I CCed Mauro, he is the DVB expert, and he might know more about this.

Regards,

	Hans