Support for Si468x radio receiver

Hi!

We'd like to use the Silicon Labs Si4688 FM/HD/DAB/DAB+ radio receiver
chip in a product, but there is no kernel support for it yet. We have
the full datasheet and Si468x Programming Guide available, so it
should be possible to write a driver for that chip. The kernel
supports the Si4768 already (which can do AM/FM/HD radio, but not
DAB/DAB+), so I figured it should not be to hard to get the Si4688
supported...

Then I checked the kernel sources for how DAB+ radio tuners are
supposed to be handled by V4L2, but found nothing. Seems like V4L2 is
restricted to abstraction of analog radio tuners, and there is
currently no way to support DAB+ receivers. Is this correct or did I
miss something? The same seems to be true about FM HD (the
radio-si476x driver doesn't seem to support FM HD, only AM and FM).

Now, my question is, how should the FM HD/DAB/DAB+ parts of a
hypothetical radio-si468x driver be implemented? Since DAB is quite
different from FM, do we need a new tuner type in addition to
V4L2_TUNER_RADIO? Or just new V4L2_BAND_MODULATION_FM_HD and
V4L2_BAND_MODULATION_DAB definitions? Or is V4L2 sufficient the way
it is and I am simply failing to understand how it should work?

Best regards,
Robert