Re: gnutv: move channel_name to flag to allow piped output

On Sunday 28 November 2010 05:42:21 David Liontooth wrote:
> I need to capture ATSC QAM closed captioning to file, and at the same
> time the mpeg-ts stream to a different file. I've been looking for an
> app that will let me do this.
>
> A simple cat works:
>
>   cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 | tee $FIL.mpg | zvbi-atsc-cc --atsc -m -C
> $FIL.txt -T KCBS
>
> But there is naturally no tuner or timer in cat, so closing the
> processes at the end of the recording is a hassle; there may be other
> issues cat doesn't handle optimally. I looked around and found gnutv in
> the dvb-apps project.
>
> gnutv is actively maintained, tunes ATSC QAM-256, handles individual
> channels well, and has a timer -- but it has a small, show-stopper problem.
>
> gnutv mandates that the channel name be placed at the end of the user
> input. There is a great -out stdout option, but you can't use it to
> pipe, since the channel name has to be placed afterwards.
>
> I suggest we move the channel name into a flag, like the other user
> values, so that we can pipe the output like this:
>
>   gnutv -adapter 0 -channel_list ~/.azap/channels.conf -timeout 10
> -channel_name  KCBS \
>   -out stdout | tee $FIL.mpg | zvbi-atsc-cc --atsc -T -9 $FIL.txt -n KCBS
>
> With a simple patch against the today's mercurial tree, as below, this
> works great. For clarity, I renamed channels to channels_list; I'll be
> happy to remove that change if it breaks too many scripts. I don't know
> how to make the change to channel_name so that it's backwardly
> compatible, but maybe we don't need to.

Hm, I do not understand, why it might be a problem to have the channel
name as the last parameter.

What happens if you try
  gnutv -adapter 0 -channels ~/.azap/channels.conf -timeout 10 -out stdout KCBS | tee $FIL.mpg | zvbi-atsc-cc --atsc -T -9 $FIL.txt -n KCBS
with an unpatched gnutv?

CU
Oliver