Re: [linux-dvb] [bug] AF9015 message "WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!"

On 11/23/2010 10:11 PM, Paul Gover wrote:
On Wednesday 06 October 2010 22:29:35 Antti Palosaari wrote:
On 10/06/2010 11:36 PM, dave cunningham wrote:
In message<4CACD0F3.6030203@xxxxxx>, Antti Palosaari wrote

It is QT1010 tuner driver issue. None is working for that currently or
in near future. Feel free to fix :]

The wiki appears to show this stick as working.
<http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Afatech_AF9015>.

Is this information incorrect or is it hit and miss depending on the
host system?

It "works" but performance is poor. Usually it locks when RF signal is
weak. If you fix bug around line 381 in qt1010.c it will work much
better. But if you fix that it will break devices zl10353+qt1010 since
zl10353 driver misses AGC configuration.

Antti

Antti,

I took a look at qt1010.c, but didn't see what the bug was.  I was hoping to
see a FIXME or BUG or some comment; any comment ;-)

Look this, I think it does have that fixed.
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~anttip/qt1010/

But then I went back to my traces.  They said my AF9015 detected an MT2060
tuner, not a QT1010.  Does this mean the QT1010 comment was wrong?  The
detection code that said so looks to be part of the AF9015/9013 support, maybe
they use the same code.  Whatever, you will know, and I certainly don't.  The
tuner code certainly uses the QT1010 driver and not the MT2060 driver, if I
understood the traces correctly.

You surely misunderstand something now. Look your first post:
"Quantek QT1010 successfully identified."

FWIW, I think you are right about AGC; when Kaffeine scans for channels, it
gives a few fleeting signal levels about 50% but fails to identify anything.
My previous DVB-T stick, different older chip, produced 100% signal solidly,
and Kaffeine identified more than 80 channels.

I think this bug renders the AF9015 in this configuration virtually useless in
Linux; the signal is enough for the Windoze tuner bloatware supplied with it
to find all the channels, but not a thing in Linux.

Sorry for coming back on this so much later; I've been busy doing house
repair.  Also, I stopped following the mailing list - I was getting swamped
with stuff and it seems to make yahoo break KDE PIM.  If I should post this via
the list, please say, and I'll start obeying the rules!

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

http://palosaari.fi/