Re: [linux-dvb] [bug] AF9015 message "WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!"

On Wednesday 06 October 2010 22:29:35 Antti Palosaari wrote:
> On 10/06/2010 11:36 PM, dave cunningham wrote:
> > In message <4CACD0F3.6030203@xxxxxx>, Antti Palosaari wrote
> >
> >> It is QT1010 tuner driver issue. None is working for that currently or
> >> in near future. Feel free to fix :]
> >
> > The wiki appears to show this stick as working.
> > <http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Afatech_AF9015>.
> >
> > Is this information incorrect or is it hit and miss depending on the
> > host system?
>
> It "works" but performance is poor. Usually it locks when RF signal is
> weak. If you fix bug around line 381 in qt1010.c it will work much
> better. But if you fix that it will break devices zl10353+qt1010 since
> zl10353 driver misses AGC configuration.
>
> Antti

Antti,

I took a look at qt1010.c, but didn't see what the bug was.  I was hoping to
see a FIXME or BUG or some comment; any comment ;-)

But then I went back to my traces.  They said my AF9015 detected an MT2060
tuner, not a QT1010.  Does this mean the QT1010 comment was wrong?  The
detection code that said so looks to be part of the AF9015/9013 support, maybe
they use the same code.  Whatever, you will know, and I certainly don't.  The
tuner code certainly uses the QT1010 driver and not the MT2060 driver, if I
understood the traces correctly.

FWIW, I think you are right about AGC; when Kaffeine scans for channels, it
gives a few fleeting signal levels about 50% but fails to identify anything.
My previous DVB-T stick, different older chip, produced 100% signal solidly,
and Kaffeine identified more than 80 channels.

I think this bug renders the AF9015 in this configuration virtually useless in
Linux; the signal is enough for the Windoze tuner bloatware supplied with it
to find all the channels, but not a thing in Linux.

Sorry for coming back on this so much later; I've been busy doing house
repair.  Also, I stopped following the mailing list - I was getting swamped
with stuff and it seems to make yahoo break KDE PIM.  If I should post this via
the list, please say, and I'll start obeying the rules!

Thanks in advance for any guidance.