Re: Bounty for the first Open Source driver for Kinect

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Antonio Ospite
<ospite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 22:14:36 +0100
> Markus Rechberger <mrechberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Mohamed Ikbel Boulabiar
>> <boulabiar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > The bounty is already taken by that developer.
>> >
>> > But now, the Kinect thing is supported like a GPL userspace library.
>> > Maybe still need more work to be rewritten as a kernel module.
>> >

>> This should better remain in userspace and interface libv4l/libv4l2 no
>> need to make things more complicated than they have to be.
>
> I can see at least two reasons for a kernel driver:
>  1. performance
>  2. out-of-the-box experience: the casual user who wants to just use
>    kinect as a normal webcam doesn't have to care about installing some
>    library

out of the box experience libusb works everywhere, ARM/MIPS/PPC/etc.
Kerneldrivers are usually not installed with those systems.
Higher backward compatibility as well (shall go down to 2.6.15) with
one compiled driver, relevant endusers do not want to compile believe
me. Developers might want but that's another story.

Markus