Re: [RFC] regmap_range_cfg usage with v4l2-cci

Hi Laurent,

On 11/1/23 13:41, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 06:26:58PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>>
>>> No pb, I also received it via the mailing-list ;-)

>>> I understand that in case of IMX sensors, ALL the multi-registers
>>> value are encoded in little-endian right ?
>>
>> Yes I believe so, Laurent, Kieran ?
>>
>>> In case of the GalaxyCore
>>> GC2145, most of the registers (page 0 / 1 and 2) are correctly
>>> encoded in big-endian, however page 3 (MIPI configuration) are
>>> 2 or 3 registers in little-endian.  So far maybe this is minor
>>> case, but the approach of having the endianness part of the v4l2_cci
>>> struct wouldn't allow to address such case ?
>>>
>>> Originally I thought we could have CCI_REG macros for little endian
>>> as well, such as CCI_REG16_LE etc etc since we anyway still have spare
>>> space I guess on top of the width part.  Drawback is that in drivers
>>> for IMX we would end-up with longer macros CCI_REG16_LE(...) instead
>>> of CCI_REG16(...).
>>
>> Hmm, that (CCI_REG16_LE etc) is an interesting proposal, that
>> would avoid the need to add a struct with flags and if I understand
>> things correctly then you would also not need any extra data
>> on top of the regmap, right ?
>>
>> I did not take the mixed endian case for data registers into
>> account yet. Since that apparently is a thing I think that
>> your CCI_REG16_LE etc proposal is better then adding a struct
>> with flags.
>>
>> Laurent, Kieran what do you think ?
>>
>>> Or maybe as you proposed we can have the "default" encoding described
>>> in the flags variable and have a CCI_REG16_REV or any other naming
>>> just to indicate that for THAT precise register the endianess is not
>>> the default one.
>>
>> If we are going to deal with mixed endianess with a flag encoded
>> in the high bits of the register then I greatly favor just
>> putting the encoding in the high bits and not having
>> a default endianness + a flag for reverse endianess, that
>> just feels wrong and the code to implement this will also
>> be less then ideal.
>
> I'm in two minds about that. It's annoying to have to mark every single
> register with _LE, but at the same time, these are CCI helpers, so
> making life more difficult for LE sensors could be considered
> reasonable. Except, of course, that it will make life more difficult for
> us, not for the sensor vendors. We need a way to share the pain, but
> that's another discussion.
>
> We could also consider that the few GC2145 registers that use a
> different endianness should be handled as 8-bit registers by CCI, and
> managed by the gc2145 driver. If this situation is very rare, it may not
> be worth it trying to handle it in v4l2-cci if it makes life more
> complicated for everybody.

I actually like this approach, it allows for mixed endianness for
the data registers and it means we don't need to have a struct v4l2_cci
to store a global (whole sensor) endianness lfag.

I don't think adding CCI_REGXX_LE() macro usage in drivers which
have LE data registers is too much of a hassle. This is a one
time thing and it is only 3 extra chars per register definition.

Regards,

Hans