Re: [ANN] Request for Topics for a Media Summit June 26th

Hi Hans,

On Mon, Mar 06, 2023 at 09:57:30AM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 03/03/2023 15:44, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am planning to organize another Media Summit on June 26th, co-located
> > with the Embedded Open Source Summit in Prague:
> >
> > https://events.linuxfoundation.org/embedded-open-source-summit/
> >
> > I've put in a request for a room with the Linux Foundation and I am waiting
> > for the result of that. For once I was early with my request, so I have good
> > hope we'll get a room. Expect the format to be similar to what we did in
> > Dublin last year.
> >
> > I'm a bit early with this 'Request for Topics' as well, but this allows
> > everyone who plans to be in Prague to take this into account.
> >
> > So if you have a topic that you want to discuss, just reply. It would be
> > very much appreciated if you can also add a guesstimate of the time you
> > need for your topic.
> >
> > Once I have the details of the room and how many people it can hold, then
> > I will send out a second email asking people to register with me if you
> > want to join.
> >
> > Regarding remote participation: only if there is really no other way.
> > Meeting face-to-face once a year is important IMHO, and attending remotely
> > is a poor substitute. That said, if it is really necessary to set something
> > up, then I can do the same I did in Dublin, setting up a Webex meeting.
> > That worked reasonably well, except that I will need to bring a better
> > speaker since I learned that the laptop speaker was pretty bad.
> >
> > So, if you have topics for the meeting, just reply!
>
> I have one:
>
> Review the subsystem development process: what can be improved?
> Are there media developers who are interested in becoming maintainers?
> Given the amount of traffic I would definitely like to see one or two
> additional maintainers.
>
> Guesstimate: 45 minutes

I'm sure we could spend the whole day discussing this :-) More than
incremental improvements to the development process, I think we need to
discuss the maintainership model in its entirety. The Linux media
subsystem is severely understaffed (if anyone disagrees I'd be very
interested in hearing counter-arguments), and I don't think we'll fix
that incrementaly without considering on-boarding of additional
maintainers, as well as retention of existing contributors. Compared to
some other subsystems (I'm thinking about DRM in particular), we have
*very* few contributors who stay and become maintainers. That's for me
the most important issue to solve if we want to scale.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart