Re: [RFC] Interactions between camera sensor rotation and flip controls

Hello

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 11:48:21AM +0200, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > All those drivers parse the DT rotation property and compensates for it
> > > transparently. The ccs driver inverts the HFLIP and VFLIP controls exposed to
> > > userspace, while the imx258 and ov02a10 flip the image internally but do not
> > > expose the HFLIP and VFLIP controls.
> > >
> > > ## API standardization
> > >
> > > There is a consensus that a standardized API is required. There is also a
> > > consensus that the V4L2_CID_ROTATE control must *not* be used by any sensor
> > > driver. No sensor driver expose that control at the moment, so this shouldn't be
> > > a problem.
> > >
> > > ### API for new drivers
> > >
> > > - Expose the rotation property through V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION as-is.
> > > - Expose the V4L2_CID_HFLIP and V4L2_CID_VFLIP controls as-is.
> > > - A sensor driver that enables horizontal or vertical flipping *must* expose the
> > >   HFLIP and VFLIP controls. It *should* expose them writable, but *may* expose
> > >   them read-only if not enough information is available to implement them as
> > >   writable in the driver.
> > >
> > > ### Backward-compatibility
> > >
> > > For drivers:
> > >
> > > - We don't care about existing drivers that use platform data (ov772x and
> > >   s5k6aa). The s5k6aa driver requires platform data, so it could be dropped as
> > >   nobody is supplying platform data in mainline.
> > > - The full-featured drivers comply with the API for new drivers except for
> > >   ov5640. Those are thus fine.
> > > - The ov5640 gained V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION support in v6.0, we should
> > >   fix it, even if it changes the userspace-visible behaviour.
> > >   - Dropping the internal flip has a higher risk of breaking applications.
> > >   - Overriding the V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION value and setting it
> > >     to 0 when it is 180 is less risky.
> > > - ccs should expose the V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION control, and modify it
> > >   internally to account the transparent 180° compensation.
> > > - For imx258 and ov02a10, two options are possible:
> > >   - Expose the V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION control as-is, and expose the
> > >     HFLIP and VFLIP controls read-only and hardcoded to enabled (for imx258) or
> > >     set based on the rotation (for ov02a10). The controls could later be made
> > >     writable. This only risk of userspace breakage would be with applications
> > >     that consider the V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION control but not the flip
> > >     controls. This is considered to be low-risk.
> > >   - Do as ccs (overriding the V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION value).
> > >     This is the option preferred by Sakari as it would unify the
> > >     behaviour of the ccs, imx258 and ov02a10 drivers.
> >
> > There is possibly an important user-visible difference between those two
> > options. For rolling-shutter sensors, the motion of objects in the scene
> > will have a different skew effect depending on the sensor rotation. It
> > is thus important for userspace to know the real rotation. For this
>
> How will it be different? The only user-visible difference, as far as I can
> tell, is the order of the Bayer pattern.

I expressed a similar concern as the one Laurent has here summarized.

I'm thinking about industrial/machine vision applications where knowing the
real mounting rotation and being in control of the row/col read
direction is possibily important with rolling shutters and fast moving
objects? This is mostly speculation, but it might be a valid use case
for very specialized applications..

If we compensate V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION and invert flips to
hide the implicit mirroring that takes place in the driver,
application that expects full control might get confused.

> The users of these drivers have relied on getting upright images without
> further device configuration. The existing user space can be expected to
> break if this is changed.

Users that do not manipulate flips doesn't need to be changed, and as
those drivers do not expose flips I don't think there's any issue
here ? IOW current users will continue to work as they do afaict

However they will find H/VFLIP enabled by default and (once V/FLIP
controls are registered and made writable) they will have to "disable"
the control to mirror/flip the image if they want to do so.

I don't think that's an issue but maybe I'm overlooking it.