Re: [RFC] Interactions between camera sensor rotation and flip controls

Replying to myself to add a personal comment.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 01:12:06AM +0200, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> [...]
> compensates for it transparently by inverting the flip values. The ov772x and
> s5k6aa use a similar mechanism, but based on platform data instead of DT.
>
> ### Rotation-aware drivers
>
> List of drivers that parse the DT rotation property manually:
>
> $ git grep -l '"rotation"' -- drivers/media/i2c/
> - drivers/media/i2c/ccs/ccs-core.c
> - drivers/media/i2c/imx258.c
> - drivers/media/i2c/ov02a10.c
>
> All those drivers parse the DT rotation property and compensates for it
> transparently. The ccs driver inverts the HFLIP and VFLIP controls exposed to
> userspace, while the imx258 and ov02a10 flip the image internally but do not
> expose the HFLIP and VFLIP controls.
>
> ## API standardization
>
> There is a consensus that a standardized API is required. There is also a
> consensus that the V4L2_CID_ROTATE control must *not* be used by any sensor
> driver. No sensor driver expose that control at the moment, so this shouldn't be
> a problem.
>
> ### API for new drivers
>
> - Expose the rotation property through V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION as-is.
> - Expose the V4L2_CID_HFLIP and V4L2_CID_VFLIP controls as-is.
> - A sensor driver that enables horizontal or vertical flipping *must* expose the
>   HFLIP and VFLIP controls. It *should* expose them writable, but *may* expose
>   them read-only if not enough information is available to implement them as
>   writable in the driver.
>
> ### Backward-compatibility
>
> For drivers:
>
> - We don't care about existing drivers that use platform data (ov772x and
>   s5k6aa). The s5k6aa driver requires platform data, so it could be dropped as
>   nobody is supplying platform data in mainline.
> - The full-featured drivers comply with the API for new drivers except for
>   ov5640. Those are thus fine.
> - The ov5640 gained V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION support in v6.0, we should
>   fix it, even if it changes the userspace-visible behaviour.
>   - Dropping the internal flip has a higher risk of breaking applications.
>   - Overriding the V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION value and setting it
>     to 0 when it is 180 is less risky.
> - ccs should expose the V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION control, and modify it
>   internally to account the transparent 180° compensation.
> - For imx258 and ov02a10, two options are possible:
>   - Expose the V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION control as-is, and expose the
>     HFLIP and VFLIP controls read-only and hardcoded to enabled (for imx258) or
>     set based on the rotation (for ov02a10). The controls could later be made
>     writable. This only risk of userspace breakage would be with applications
>     that consider the V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION control but not the flip
>     controls. This is considered to be low-risk.
>   - Do as ccs (overriding the V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION value).
>     This is the option preferred by Sakari as it would unify the
>     behaviour of the ccs, imx258 and ov02a10 drivers.

There is possibly an important user-visible difference between those two
options. For rolling-shutter sensors, the motion of objects in the scene
will have a different skew effect depending on the sensor rotation. It
is thus important for userspace to know the real rotation. For this
reason, I think it would be better to never override the
V4L2_CID_CAMERA_SENSOR_ROTATION value exposed to userspace, thus going
for the first of the above two options. The ccs driver should ideally do
the same.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart