Re: Firmware (devicetree/ACPI interface) for marking camera sensors being on the front/back of a device

Hi Tomasz,

On 1/26/22 12:58, Tomasz Figa wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> +Ricardo Ribalda +Sergey Senozhatsky FYI
>
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 6:43 AM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> IIRC there was some discussion about $subject a while ago,
>> esp. being pushed by the ChromeOS folks (IIRC). If you know what
>> I'm talking about, please add relevant folks to the Cc.
>>
>> While doing some work on atomisp support I noticed that the
>> ACPI device fwnode-s describing the sensors have an ACPI _PLD
>> method, which is a standardized ACPI method to retreive an
>> package (ACPI for struct) describing the location of things
>> like USB ports; and in this case of the camera sensors.
>>
>> And upon checking the Surface Go DSDT the sensors there seem to
>> have the _PLD bits to. And in both cases at least the following
>> PLD field (bits 67-69) seems to contain valid and relevant info,
>> quoting from the ACPI spec 6.2 version, page 329:
>>
>> """
>> Panel: Describes which panel surface of the system’s housing
>> the device connection point resides on:
>> 0 – Top
>> 1 – Bottom
>> 2 – Left
>> 3 – Right
>> 4 – Front
>> 5 – Back
>> 6 – Unknown
>> """
>>
>> This seems to be consistently set to 4 or 5 for the _PLD method
>> of the sensor ACPI nodes which I checked.
>>
>> So rather then defining a new devicetree property for this and
>> embedding that inside the ACPI tables, IMHO it would be best if
>> the ChromeOS devices would use the standardized _PLD ACPI method
>> for this too.
>
> Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
>
> We don't seem to be using it in our ACPI tables, but I agree that it
> sounds like something that should be populated.
>
> However, we probably still need something else to describe rotation
> (as Laurent mentioned)

Ack.

> and position on the plane (when there is more
> than one camera facing the same direction).

The position on the device, relative to other sensors can also
be described in an acpi _PLD package. Note I'm not sure of it
is already being used this way anywhere though.

Regards,

Hans