Re: [Update] Grabster AV 350 no audio (now works with tvtime)

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 01:54:31AM +0100, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Sat, 16 Oct 2021 19:35:22 +0200
> Debucquoy Anthony <d.tonitch@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>
> Don't top post. It makes really hard for people to follow the discussions.
>
> This time, I'll re-order the discussion for it to make sense.
>
> > On Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 09:19:09AM +0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > > Hi Anthony,

> > > The em28xx devices use an external chip for audio, using AC97.
> > >
> > > As AC97 is an industry standard, it is possible for board vendors
> > > to replace it with different chips. They do that with time, selecting
> > > a different chip when they need/want.
> > >
> > > The boards entry at the em28xx has configurations for the device that
> > > was used at the time the code was introduced, but this may not be
> > > the case anymore for a newer device.
> > >
> > > Anyway, the AC97 chips have several different entries. From its
> > > datasheet:
> > >
> > > 	https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/649/STAC9766-pdf.php
> > >
> > > It sees that it has the following input lines:
> > >
> > > 	pc beep
> > > 	phone
> > > 	aux
> > > 	video
> > > 	cd
> > > 	mic
> > > 	line in
> > >
> > > They also have a "Master" volume that the driver sets to be in 100%
> > > (but some apps and pulseaudio might reduce it to 0%, causing the device
> > > to be muted).
> > >
> > > Anyway, the AC97 Kernel support will expose all lines reported by the
> > > hardware via an ALSA mixer.
> > >
> > > The AV 350 entry assumes that the "line in" mixer entry is the one
> > > containing the audio. So, it will place the volume for such line
> > > in 100%.
> > >
> > > However, maybe, on your device, some other input was used instead.
> > >
> > > If this is the case, all you need to do is to open a mixer, unmute
> > > the right line and manually increase the volume.
> > >
> > > -
> > >
> > > There's a separate issue that might explain why some people
> > > are using a different card: some boards require a command to
> > > enable some pins (called GPIO). Those are used, among other
> > > things, to enable/disable some external chips. In the case of
> > > the original AV 350 that was used to add support for it,
> > > it used some of those GPIOs to enable the AC97 inputs.
> > > If your AV 350 requires a different setting, that will require
> > > to patch the Kernel, but it is more likely that the problem on
> > > your device is just due to a different AC97 volume.
>
> > Hey, I'm really sorry about Up this thread but I found some things that
> > can help but I'm not experimented enough to understand how to make it
> > work properly!
> >
> > By looking on the net with the info you gave me in the previous message,
> > some people have request to try to use tvtime or xawtv !
> >
> > So did I! and with tvtime, it was the first time I eared some song out
> > of my device!
>
> Ok. It means that there's nothing wrong with the Kernel driver.

> [...]

Thanks a lot for your precious information!
the problem is still there but I don't think (as u said) that this is a
linux-media issue! I will explain everything to a mail for the alsa
mailing list and try to get help there!

Again, your help is really precious and I really respect your work for
the linux community!

Have a great day!

Debucquoy Anthony

Ps: sorry for the top-post (I assume is the fact that I wrote before the