Re: Grabster AV 350 no audio

Thanks a lot for you quick and really clear response,

I understand a lot more now, but the problem doesn't seems to solve,

> They also have a "Master" volume that the driver sets to be in 100%
> (but some apps and pulseaudio might reduce it to 0%, causing the device
> to be muted).
>
> Anyway, the AC97 Kernel support will expose all lines reported by the
> hardware via an ALSA mixer.
>
> The AV 350 entry assumes that the "line in" mixer entry is the one
> containing the audio. So, it will place the volume for such line
> in 100%.
>
> However, maybe, on your device, some other input was used instead.
>
> If this is the case, all you need to do is to open a mixer, unmute
> the right line and manually increase the volume.

I tried, but to be honest, since I'm using linux, (about 6 years ago)
I have noticed my lack of understanding in 2 things under this OS...

One is the networking and dhcp stuff, and the other is the sound ^^
So I tried to do what you asked as precisely as I could be maybe I do
something wrong :'(

so went to alsamixer and tried to put everything at its maximum and
unmuted everything. I even did this with thing unrelated to be sure!

and I did this under pulsemixer too, but still nothing!

I tried to look a bit on the net to see if something was missing. but I
don't really know what to look for in the mean time!

I saw a lot of peole asking to output command like `aplay -L` and
`amixer`, so here I give them to you if you can notice somethign (I put
them on paste.rs because I think it's way to messy for a mail but if you
want me to paste them in mail next time, there is no problem ^^)

- aplay -L : https://paste.rs/MYb
- amixer : https://paste.rs/PaY

> There's a separate issue that might explain why some people
> are using a different card: some boards require a command to
> enable some pins (called GPIO). Those are used, among other
> things, to enable/disable some external chips. In the case of
> the original AV 350 that was used to add support for it,
> it used some of those GPIOs to enable the AC97 inputs.
> If your AV 350 requires a different setting, that will require
> to patch the Kernel, but it is more likely that the problem on
> your device is just due to a different AC97 volume.

This is really helpful, again Thank you very much for you help !

PS: this device is still in use by my dad from time to time which is
under windows and it actually work really well under Windows (now that I
think about it, I only tried it with MAGIX software)

Anthony.