RE: Regarding OMAP 35xx ISP subsystem and SoC-Camera

On Mon, 31 May 2010, Hiremath, Vaibhav wrote:

> > > 2. Since V4L2-INT and SoC-Camera frameworks are deprecated, can you please
> > > let me know the roadmap for Sub-Device framework ?
> >
> > The soc-camera framework isn't deprecated, but it isn't used by the OMAP3
> > ISP
> > driver either.
> >
> [Hiremath, Vaibhav] Laurent, I believe going forward this SoC-Camera
> will get also deprecated and all drivers will be migrated to sub-device
> framework.

Vaibhav, I think you're misunderstanding. The soc-camera framework has
been designed to fulfill two tasks: (1) create a standard interface
between (SoC) camera hosts and video clients, and (2) to simplify
implementation of new camera host drivers by taking a part of common
for many SoC camera controllers functionality into the soc-camera core.
The first task is being replaced by v4l2-subdev, that's correct. But I so
far don't see a compelling reason to obsolete the 2nd task, which would
migrate that common functionality into each camera host driver. New camera
host driver authors are free to either use or not to use soc-camera. If
they think, the functionality provided by soc-camera core fits well with
their hardware, they can use it. If they think, it is imposing too many
restrictions and their hardware is more complicated, than what soc-camera
offers, then they can write a complete v4l2-device driver.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.