Re: Regarding OMAP 35xx ISP subsystem and SoC-Camera

Hi Manjunathan,

On Friday 28 May 2010 15:54:57 manjunathan.padua@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Dear Linux-media group
>   I am a newbie and have recently started working on integration of a new
> camera sensor MT9M112 sensor with OMAP ISP Camera subsystem on a OMAP 3530
> based custom board.  So I checked in mainline kernel if driver is
> available for this camera sensor and  I found it in the
> Linux/driver/media/video/mt9m11.c, this supports both MT9M111 and MT9M112.
> It is based on SoC-Camera framework.   But unfortunately this is not
> compatible with OMAP 35xx  Camera ISP subsystem  as OMAP camera ISP
> subsystem is based on V4L2-INT.

The OMAP3 ISP driver doesn't use the deprecated V4L2 int-device API anymore.
The latest version of the driver can be found in the omap3camera tree on
gitorious (make sure you checkout the devel branch).

> Also I got know that there are there are 3 different frameworks for camera
> sensor drivers in Linux
> a. V4L2-INT is deprecated but currently supported by OMAP35xx ISP Linux BSP
> b. SoC-Camera is  also deprecated.
> c. Sub-Device is the current architecture supported from Open source
> community
>
> 1. Is this understanding correct ?

That's correct. The OMAP35xx ISP driver in the Linux BSP is also deprecated
:-)

> 2. Since V4L2-INT and SoC-Camera frameworks are deprecated, can you please
> let me know the roadmap for Sub-Device framework ?

The soc-camera framework isn't deprecated, but it isn't used by the OMAP3 ISP
driver either.

> 3. What is the best option/recommendation from community for me to integrate
> MT9M112 with Camera ISP system on OMAP 3530 based board ?

The dependencies on the soc-camera framework in the MT9M112 driver need to be
removed. I've CC'ed Guennadi Liakhovetski to this e-mail, he's the author of
the soc-camera framework and should be able to provide information on what is
required.

> 4. And lastly are there any other different camera sensors which have Sub-
> Device based drivers available in Mainline Linux?

Not that I know of, but there's a video decoder driver (tvp5150).

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart