Re: Regarding OMAP 35xx ISP subsystem and SoC-Camera

Hi Manjunathan,

On Monday 31 May 2010 11:40:55 manjunathan.padua@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Friday 28 May 2010 15:54:57 manjunathan.padua@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > Dear Linux-media group
> > >
> > > I am a newbie and have recently started working on integration of a new
> > > camera sensor MT9M112 sensor with OMAP ISP Camera subsystem on a OMAP
> > > 3530 based custom board.  So I checked in mainline kernel if driver is
> > > available for this camera sensor and  I found it in the
> > > Linux/driver/media/video/mt9m11.c, this supports both MT9M111 and
> > > MT9M112. It is based on SoC-Camera framework.   But unfortunately this
> > > is not compatible with OMAP 35xx  Camera ISP subsystem  as OMAP camera
> > > ISP subsystem is based on V4L2-INT.
> >
> > The OMAP3 ISP driver doesn't use the deprecated V4L2 int-device API
> > anymore. The latest version of the driver can be found in the omap3camera
> > tree on gitorious (make sure you checkout the devel branch).
>
> Does this mean current code of OMAP3 ISP in gitorious is updated to use
> sub-device framework?

Yes it does.

> > > Also I got know that there are there are 3 different frameworks for
> > > camera sensor drivers in Linux
> > > a. V4L2-INT is deprecated but currently supported by OMAP35xx ISP Linux
> > > BSP
> > > b. SoC-Camera is  also deprecated.
> > > c. Sub-Device is the current architecture supported from Open source
> > > community
> > >
> > > 1. Is this understanding correct ?
> > >
> > That's correct. The OMAP35xx ISP driver in the Linux BSP is also
> > deprecated :-)
>
> It is surprising to hear that OMAP35xx ISP driver is also deprecated.

The OMAP34xx and OMAP35xx ISP are very similar and should be supported by the
same driver. The most up-to-date driver is available in the omap3camera tree,
and that's the one that will be merged to mainline when it will be ready. All
other drivers are either deprecated or temporary solutions.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart