Re: [v4l-utils v5 0/5] Add support for meson building

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 04:59:47PM +0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:26:10 -0300 Ariel D'Alessandro escreveu:
>
> > Kieran,
> >

> > >  - Meson decided to default libdir to
> > >      /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
> > >    while autoconf used
> > >      /usr/local/lib
> > >    (it's likely handled by the package managers anyway)
> >
> >   $ meson configure ../build-meson/ | grep libdir
> >     libdir    lib/x86_64-linux-gnu    Library directory
>
> The default isn't nice, and will likely cause troubles for the users, as
> /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu would hardly be at the ld.so.conf list of
> paths for most people. So, when one would try to run a program, it will
> fail.

This depends on the distribution. On Debian-like distributions, to
enable multi-arch support, an arch-specific directory is used. Debian
adds it to ld.so.conf (for both /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib). On other
distributions, /usr/lib or /usr/lib64 will be used by meson.

> > As mentioned in another response. Autotools is building with `-g -O2` by
> > default, that'd the equivalent meson configuration option
> > --buildtype=debugoptimized.
>
> I can't understand the Meson's default... no optimization and no debug!
> Basically something that it is useless for both developers and for
> production. I wonder why they chose a crap default like that...

The default is debug, so it includes debug (and no optimization). This
can be overridden at the project level with

default_options : ['buildtype=debugoptimized']

in the project() function.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart