Re: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mcisely/pvrusb2-patches

On Fri, 21 May 2010, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> Mike Isely wrote:
> > Mauro:
> >
> > You are reading too much into that comment.
> >
> > I never said it was valid to do what had been done, only that for the
> > longest time this is what the driver did and it never caused a problem
> > that I was made aware of.  What I said there was correct, that this is
> > what the driver had been doing in the past, that it's definitely causing
> > a problem now and thus that is why this patch exists.
>
> As I said, this is not right:
> 	"Apparently later kernels don't like this behavior"

Mauro:

That statement was in reference to the fact that previously the problem
had gone undetected, but now later kernels can notice and complain about
this, thus "later kernels don't like this behavior".

We can debate that perhaps the statement can be worded better, but that
doesn't make it *wrong*.

> It is not "later kernels". DMA over stack were never supported. Your driver
> had a bug that you didn't noticed for long time, probably because nobody
> reported you this issue, since it appears only on some non-Intel archs and
> on i386 with more than 3.12 Gb of RAM, and when the stack happens to be after
> the first 3.12 Gb (with is a somewhat rare condition).

I understand your point perfectly that this was never right or valid.
In fact, I also understood that point long before you decided to explain
it to me here - after all my realization of this problem in the driver
is why I wrote the patch in the first place.  Absolutely no argument
there about the importance of the change.

None of that however justifies putting words into an author's mouth,
which is effectively what you did by replacing that commit comment.

When I've propagated commits from other authors who have sent me
patches, I try very hard to ensure that their comments are preserved
verbatim.  Those are after all the author's words not mine.  If I think
such a comment has a problem, then I will discuss it with the author and
let him/her provide the replacement statement (or at least explain to me
why (s)he thinks it is correct).  Failing that then I will at least make
it clear in the comment which edits came from me.  I would never want to
be accused of unilaterally putting words into peoples' mouths and I
would hope others will treat me the same way.

  -Mike

--

Mike Isely
isely @ isely (dot) net