Re: Recording videos on phones and camera on Librem 5 devboard

Hello,

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 06:19:29PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > I think most of the coordination is mostly happening via the gitlab issues in
> > >
> > > https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux-next
> > >
> > > Maybe Martin and Dorota who are working on the camera drivers (put in cc:)
> > > have a more suggestions.

> > > Megapixels work is mostly happening here atm:
> > >
> > > https://source.puri.sm/dorota.czaplejewicz/megapixels
> >
> > While this is interesting work, I would also keep an eye on libcamera, which I
> > believe is a better place for HW specific media controller and request handling.
> > Shouldn't be very hard to port this GTK3 library on top of libcamera.
> >
> > https://libcamera.org/
>
> Hmm, famous last words :-).

No humans or animals were terminally injured during libcamera
development :-)

> I view megapixels as hand-optimized camera application tailored to
> phones and taking photos (and it is good at that).
>
> OTOH Unicsy camera (https://gitlab.com/tui/tui/-/tree/master/cam ) is
> simple python wrapper over GTK+ and gstreamer aimed at videos. (It can
> do photos, too; slowly. Hand-coded app would probably have better
> performance).
>
> Eventually it would be nice to have media controller support in
> libcamera, gstreamer and probably some other framework I forgot about.

Media controller (and any camera-related kernel API really) support is
exactly what libcamera is about. While it may make sense for gstreamer
to deal directly with kernel devices that require configuration through
the media controller API is some cases, for computational cameras (or
software-defined cameras as they're also called today) it's increasingly
a dead end. GStreamer is good as an application API, or as a framework
wrapped in helpers that offer a simpler, higher-level API, and the
libcamerasrc element can bridge it to the camera implementation.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart