Re: Mercurial x git tree sync - was: Re: Remote control at Zolid Hybrid TV Tuner

hermann pitton wrote:

>> My view is that the backport tree is very useful to have a broader number
>> of people testing V4L/DVB code, as it can be applied against legacy kernels.
>> Of course, for this to work, people should quickly fix broken backports
>> (that means that not only Douglas should work on it, but other developers
>> are welcomed to contribute with backport fixes).
>
> For now, if not using git, Sander needs a 2.6.33 with recent v4l-dvb
> then to provide relevant debug output and eventually patches.

Until Douglas or someone fix the breakages with older kernels, yes.

> He has to
> check if his distribution has the minimal requirements for that one too.

In thesis, yes, but, unless he is running a really old distribution
(those that come with kernels lower than 2.6.16), it should be ok to
run 2.6.33 on it, provided that properly compiled with the minimum
requirements needed by the distro. Generally, "make oldconfig" do a
good job of enabling the needed bits, but sometimes, manual adjustments
at compilation parameters might be needed.

Well, if the distro is older than 2.6.16, it won't be capable of running
from -hg anyway (as the minimum supported kernel is 2.6.16). So, I don't
think that this would be a problem, in practice.

--

Cheers,
Mauro