Re: HEIC encoder/decoder

On 10/12/2020 00:10, Stanimir Varbanov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to implement HEIC image encoder (and later decoder) in Venus
> driver and I wonder how to distinguish image vs video encoding using
> HEVC and possibly AVC codecs.
>
> I could imagine those two options:
>
> * introduce a new compressed format V4L2_PIX_FMT_HEVC_IMAGE and reuse
> video encoder as of now, or

This option seems to be the correct one. It is also in line with how JPEG
is used.

I wonder if it should be called V4L2_PIX_FMT_HEIC instead, but it's not
entirely clear to me from the wikipedia page what that makes sense or not.

> * make a separate video node which supports HEVC with profiles Main
> Still Picture and Main 10 Still picture only. The problem here is that
> AVC doesn't provide profiles for still pictures, and in this case the
> driver cannot distinguish what the client wants video or image
> encoding/decoding.

That's too messy. A separate pixel format for still images works well.
There is a huge difference between HEVC and HEIC since with HEIC each
frame (like JPEG) is independently encoded/decoded, so the driver behaves
differently. It makes perfect sense to use a separate pixel format for this.

Regards,

	Hans