Re: Changing encoding properties

Le lundi 30 novembre 2020 à 11:10 -0800, Fritz Koenig a écrit :
> When can bitrate, etc., be changed by VIDIOC_TRY_EXT_CTRLS?  Any time
> during encode?  Only before VIDIOC_STREAMON?
>
> My understanding is that VIDIOC_STREAMON should start actually
> processing frames, everything before then is configuration.  If
> something needs to be adjusted then VIDIOC_STREAMOFF should be called,
> changes made, and then VIDIOC_STREAMON again.  Is this correct?

Bitrate is paticular is expected to be changeable at runtime (in STREAMON
state). But a firmware may not support it, hence a driver is allowed to return
EBUSY (iirc).

Changing the bitrate without producing a new keyframe (whath cycling
STREAMOFF/ON would cause) is a highly common use case while encoding for live
streaming.

This of course should be documented.