Changing encoding properties

When can bitrate, etc., be changed by VIDIOC_TRY_EXT_CTRLS?  Any time
during encode?  Only before VIDIOC_STREAMON?

My understanding is that VIDIOC_STREAMON should start actually
processing frames, everything before then is configuration.  If
something needs to be adjusted then VIDIOC_STREAMOFF should be called,
changes made, and then VIDIOC_STREAMON again.  Is this correct?

I didn't see anything in the documentation about this.

Thanks.

-Fritz