Re: Suggestion regarding x8 gang mode device tree changes

On 30/10/2020 10:56, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 10:31:06AM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:

>>> Tegra CSI each port supports max 4 lanes. For x8, 2 x4 ports together
>>> are programmed for simultaneous streaming during the same video/subdev
>>> stream ops.
>>>
>>> Physically, CSI RX side 4 lanes goes to x4 port and other 4 lanes goes
>>> to another x4 port.
>>>
>>> HDMI Bridge TX0 -> CSI RX0 (x4 port)
>>>
>>> HDMI Bridge TX1 -> CSI RX1 (x4 port)
>>>
>>> HDMI bridge side single image is split into 2 x4 ports and on RX side
>>> image from both ports are captured simultaneously with buffer offsets
>>> adjusted side-by-side to get combined image for same video buf of video
>>> device.
>>>
>>> Both these 2 x4 ports together are used for streaming by Tegra VI and
>>> buffer offsets are adjusted side by side for these ports and for video
>>> device node stream, its single buffer which contains combined image from
>>> capture.

>>> Sure once Hans also agrees with this to have it as single x8 port (just
>>> like I have now in v2), will send v3 to update endpoint parse to allow
>>> upto max 8 data-lanes and will also update Tegra CSI driver accordingly
>>> to retrieve lanes using csi2 bus type.
>>>
>>> Hans, Please confirm if you agree with this.
>>>

>> I'm not sure if I agree with this. Shouldn't a device tree reflect the
>> hardware? And how would you represent the use case where the ganging
>> mode stitches together two synced sensors (left and right) into a single
>> 3D side-by-side image? Then you would have:
>>
>>  Left Sensor TX -> CSI RX0 (x4 port)
>> Right Sensor TX -> CSI RX1 (x4 port)
>>
>> And for the tc358840 something similar might be true: in the case of the
>> Tegra you have this nice ganging mode available, but for other SoCs each
>> half would have to go to a separate CSI port and captured via a separate
>> video DMA channel, and software or a GPU is needed to combine the two
>> halves.
>>
>> In both these examples it is my understanding that you have to model this
>> in the DT as separate x4 ports.
>
> Do note that a "port" as such is a logical concept. On modern hardware, a
> port consists of two or more lanes --- one clock, plus at least one data
> lane. Perhaps an example could be useful. For instance, if you have ten
> lanes on a device, this could be split into following configurations, based
> on the board design:
>
> configuration \ data lanes	port 0	port 1	port 2	port 3
>
> 1:				4	4
> 2:				4	2	1
> 3:				2	2	2
> 4:				2	2	1	1
>
> So if you add one more, say:
>
> 5:				8
>
> So what we're discussing is just how the lanes are distributed across the
> ports.
>
> There are usually hardware specific limitations how the lanes can be
> distributed. The interface we have in DT (data-lanes + clock-lanes
> [...]

So for this particular instance using a single logical 8-lane port would
make sense, but in the two other scenarios (left/right sensor or supporting
tc358840 in a SoC that doesn't support ganging) I described you would still
have to model it as two 4-lane ports.

Is that correct?

Regards,

	Hans