Re: Need to discuss method for multiple, multiple-PID TS's from same demux (Re: Videotext application crashes the kernel due to DVB-demux patch)

Am Samstag, den 06.02.2010, 13:02 +0100 schrieb BOUWSMA Barry:
> I'm not even trying to follow this discussion at all, but I
> feel I have to chime in to be off-topic...

> > > a. NOTHING "will go away". This is empty rant, nothing else it is!
> > > In US teletext is dead, yes. In Europe analogue television is close to
> > > dead. Yes.
> > > But I have found no information source that teletext will disappear in
> > > general. At least not in Europe or Germany.
> > > So if you keep that up then prove the assertion please.
> >
> > In the UK too. And after world war II we always followed BBC.
> > Not that bad ...
>
> The BBC has switched over to ``Digital Text'' via the Red Button
> service on Freeview.  This is based on MHEG, and has the advantage
> that pretty much all receivers are built around a particular
> platform which specifies inclusion of the Red Button services,
> a particular EPG, LCNs, and so on.  Be that platform Freeview, or
> Sky, or Freesat.
>
> This is not the case in your country -- the public broadcasters
> have adopted MHP which has gone over about as well as a lead
> balloon.  There is also not a specified platform, but rather any
> manufacturer can offer a receiver based on the DVB specifications.
> Usually teletext support will be built-in to the decoder; also,
> most boxes pass the DVB Teletext information to the television
> regenerated as the analogue VBI interval which pretty much every
> set supports.
>
> As far as I know, the proposed Eutelsat Viseo platform being
> pushed does not specify a MHP- or MHEG-based replacement for
> teletext, nor am I aware of any alternative platforms to take
> over and mandate a replacement of the current level teletext.
>
> Can you even find a MHP-capable settop box in the shops today?
> Also, as far as I know, the national MHP service was dropped from
> terrestrial broadcasting some years ago, and at best there may
> be still a regional and minimal service offered by Bayerischer
> Rundfunk, but nothing like one finds on Freeview.
>
> Conditions have diverged too much between the two countries these
> days.  In the UK, Sky has a lion's share of the market, while I've
> barely seen anything but a few sports bars with a Premiere
> subscription.  Also while the commercial public service
> broadcasters in the UK have relied on terrestrial service through
> the country, this has not been true of the comparable private
> commercial broadcasters in germany, who are not even participating
> in terrestrial broadcasting outside of a handful of strategic
> centres.  Also, teletext in germany is a service of the individual
> broadcasters or contracted out in the commercial case, while the
> Teletext and Teletext Holidays and such closing in the UK is its
> own service.
>

> Without support already in place for a transition away from VBI-
> based teletext over the coming years, I can't see it happening.
> I know that Austria made a big deal of their MHP-based ORF text
> [...]

Hi Barry,

sorry for delay and thanks for your advice. I know it was already there
previously and is best we have.

ZDF is becoming very slow in updating news on page 112 and 113.

KiKa seems to be already fully commercial.

Cheers,
Hermann