Re: [IR RC, REGRESSION] Didn't work IR RC

Hi,

Am Montag, den 01.03.2010, 10:37 -0300 schrieb Mauro Carvalho Chehab:
> Andy Walls wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 15:36 +0900, Dmitri Belimov wrote:
> >> Hi All
> >>
> >> After rework of the IR subsystem, IR RC no more work in our TV cards.
> >> As I see
> >> call saa7134_probe_i2c_ir,
> >>   configure i2c
> >>   call i2c_new_device
> >>
> >> New i2c device not registred.
> >>
> >> The module kbd-i2c-ir loaded after i2c_new_device.
> >
> > Jean,
> >
> > There was also a problem reported with the cx23885 driver's I2C
> > connected IR by Timothy Lenz:
> >
> > http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg15122.html
> >
> > The failure mode sounds similar to Dmitri's, but maybe they are
> > unrelated.
> >
> > I worked a bit with Timothy on IRC and the remote device fails to be
> > detected whether ir-kbd-i2c is loaded before the cx23885 driver or after
> > the cx23885 driver.  I haven't found time to do any folow-up and I don't
> > have any of the hardware in question.
> >
> > Do you have any thoughts or a suggested troubleshooting approach?
>
> Andy/Dmitri,
>
> With the current i2c approach, the bridge driver is responsible for binding
> an i2c device into the i2c adapter. In other words, the bridge driver should
> have some logic to know what devices use ir-kbd-i2c, loading it at the right
> i2c address(es). Manually loading IR shouldn't make any difference.

yes, we have info.addr at saa7134-input and Dmitri did add the Beholder
IR address there recently.

> >From Andy's comment, I suspect that such logic is missing at cx23885 for the board
> you're referring. Not sure if this is the same case of the boards Dmitri is
> concerned about.

On a first look, Andy seems not to provide the IR addr from the bridge
and without probing it can't work anymore.

> It should be noticed that the i2c redesign happened on 2.6.31 or 2.6.32, so,
> if this is the case, a patch should be sent also to -stable.
>
> In the case of saa7134, Jean worked on a fix for some boards:
> 	http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/75883/
>
> He is currently waiting for someone with the affected boards to test it and
> give some return.

That fix should be unrelated and both variants of the patch are not
anywhere yet.

We can fake this single board in question on a P7131 Dual, but my
receiver is broken, else all looked O.K., and it seems not worth yet to
ask Mauro to lose time on faking it, assuming his IR receiver does still
work.

Here we can simply wait for Daro coming back from skiing, or can even
apply already Jean's solution per this card without any risk.

Else, do we not check for kernels < 2.6.30 on hg v4l-dvb not using auto
probing anymore? I tested only on two machines with some 2.6.30 and one
with 2.6.29 and recent hg v4l-dvb. There at least all was fine, also
with the patch moving IR init1 to saa7134_input_init2 and also for
ir-kbd-ic2 for a early Pinnacle 310i under all conditions.

Dmitri, on what kernel and/or SCM version of v4l-dvb you discover that
flaw? Maybe I can reproduce it then.

Andy has reports, that ir-kbd-i2c is still fine on 2.6.31, but breaks on
2.6.32. Do we already run out of sync?

Cheers,
Hermann