Re: soc-camera: pixclk polarity question

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Philipp Wiesner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working with µCs (i.MX27) and cameras (Aptina) at the moment.
>
> Now I encountered a problem introduced by serializing and deserializing
> (lvds) camera data on its way to the µC.
>
> The serializer expects a specific pixclk polarity which can be
> configured in hardware. In most cases this is no problem as it is
> permanently connected to only one sensor chip, but camera sensors with
> configurable pixclk could negotiate the wrong polarity.
>
> The deserializer generates pixclk from data, its polarity again can be
> configured in hardware. This leads to pixclk inversion depending on
> wheter serdes is happening or not, so its not an attribute of the
> platform (in opposition to what SOCAM_SENSOR_INVERT_PCLK is meant for)
>
> What would be the correct way to address this?
>
> Do we need another platform flag, e.g. SOCAM_PCLK_SAMPLE_RISING_FIXED?
> The only solution coming to my mind is checking for the SerDes on boot
> time and setting flags like SOCAM_PCLK_SAMPLE_RISING_FIXED and
> SOCAM_SENSOR_INVERT_PCLK if necessary.

Hm, how is any new flag better than the existing one? If it is just a
static flag - it doesn't change anything, right? As far as I understand,
on one and the same platform the signal polarity can be different,
depending on some switch / jumper / hard-soldered pin, right? I think your
boot-time verification is good then - just put it in your platform code
and set the flag(s) accordingly.

Thanks
Guennadi
---