Re: ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI development

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Who did you contact?   gpudriverdevsupport AT amd DOT com is the devel
> address you probably want.  I looked into documentation for the newer
> theatre chips when I started at AMD, but unfortunately, I'm not sure
> how much we can release since we sold most of our multimedia IP to
> Marvell last year.  I'm not sure what the status of the theatre chips
> is now.
>
> Documentation for the older theatre and theatre 200 asics was released
> under NDA years ago which resulted in the theatre support in the
> opensource radeon Xorg driver and gatos projects.  Now that we a
> proper KMS driver for radeon, someone could port the old userspace
> theatre code to the kernel for proper v4l support on AIW radeon cards.
>
> Alex

For what it's worth, I actually did have a contact at the ATI/AMD
division that made the Theatre 312/314/316, and I was able to get
access to both the docs and reference driver sources under NDA.
However, the division in question was sold off to Broadcom, and I
couldn't get the rights needed to do a GPL driver nor to get
redistribution rights on the firmware.  In fact, they couldn't even
told me who actually *held* the rights for the reference driver code.

At that point, I decided that it just wasn't worth the effort for such
an obscure design.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs