Re: H264 stateless reference frames ordering lists

Hi Alexandre,

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 15:30:40 +0900
Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 7:53 PM Boris Brezillon
> <boris.brezillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Alexandre,
> >
> > On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 19:14:22 +0900
> > Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Boris and Ezequiel,
> > >
> > > Patch c3adb85745ca6 has removed the ref_pic_list_* members from the
> > > v4l2_ctrl_h264_decode_params struct. The MT8183 stateless decoder
> > > driver I am working on still relies on these lists and I am trying (a
> > > bit late to the game) to remove them from the Chromium OS kernel UAPI
> > > in order to match upstream.
> > >
> > > I have dug into the discussion that resulted in this removal and could
> > > not really find how these are supposed to be reconstructed and on the
> > > basis on which information. The commit log for the above-mentioned
> > > patch mentions that "generic helpers will be provided for drivers that
> > > need this list". I could not find any in the kernel so far, do you
> > > have any code available at the moment? Or any idea on how these can be
> > > reconstructed? The process seems to involve reading the DPB itself as
> > > well as reordering information from the slice parameters, and seems to
> > > be a bit involved to be done in the kernel, but maybe I am missing
> > > something here.
> >
> > The code is here [1], and it should indeed be extracted and put in a
> > generic v4l2_h264 lib at some point (should happen soon, since we need
> > the same logic for the rkvdec driver).
> >
> > Let me know if you have any questions.
>
> Thanks - not sure how I missed it. I have tried adapting the code for
> MT8183 and it seems to be working perfectly there as well.

That's great news! Note that we have a fix queued to media/master, so
if you copy the code, take it from there.

> Regarding the lib to make this code available to other drivers, I was
> thinking about doing it on top of
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11076405/ but is this patch still
> being worked on?

Unfortunately no. Hans was not in favor of this extra codec abstraction
layer and suggested to provide a set of helpers instead. But after
looking at it, there's not much that can be automated/shared if drivers
don't all share the same base object (maybe part of the ctrls handling
logic). Also had the same feedback from Paul K (reported privately on
IRC), so I decided to give up on this approach.

Regards,

Boris